SFI 20th Anniversary Special: $.89 PSAs! Details HERE.

Welcome to the Forum

Join in-depth discussions of SFI news, products, programs, and more with your fellow SFI affiliates. Brainstorm and share tips and ideas. Start new threads. Get your questions answered 24/7, become a Forum Guru, and more!

Do you ignore this or act accordingly?

Posted 8 months ago, edited 8 months ago

It is often on the alert page and when SFI deem it is necessary that you change your password. Do you ignore this alert or act likewise? This is a related post you can read and what President Gery also said. https://www.sfimg.com/forum/thread?id=86018&pg=1 "Right! We have not been hacked, but many, many other, even major, sites have been (it's in the news regularly)...and the email addresses and passwords of tens of millions have been stolen by hackers...and these hackers have, no doubt, distributed and sold these email and password combinations to other scammers. So, there's potentially a whole army of bad guys out there with your email/password combination...and armed with this, all they have to do is go to various other sites (SFI included) and enter the email addresses and passwords one after another,…" Best regards. Olufunmilola
It is often on the alert page and when SFI deem it is necessary that you change your password.
Do you ignore this alert or act likewise?

This is a related post you can read and what President Gery also said.
www.sfimg.com/forum/thread?id=86018&pg=1

"Right! We have not been hacked, but many, many other, even major, sites have been (it's in the news regularly)...and the email addresses and passwords of tens of millions have been stolen by hackers...and these hackers have, no doubt, distributed and sold these email and password combinations to other scammers.

So, there's potentially a whole army of bad guys out there with your email/password combination...and armed with this, all they have to do is go to various other sites (SFI included) and enter the email addresses and passwords one after another,…"

Best regards.

Olufunmilola
16x SUPPORT
Olufunmilola O.

Nigeria

E365 Runner Up
Guru Rank: #16

Posted 8 months ago 2 Replies

Hi Olufunmilola This unfortunately happens, there is not much you can do about the attempts, but what you can do is protect yourself. Changing your passwords every once in awhile is good practice, not just for SFI, for everything, you can never be too safe out there. Another thing to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, cause now they don't only have one password they have them all. Good point to bring up, so the answer should be, act accordingly. Chris
Hi Olufunmilola

This unfortunately happens, there is not much you can do about the attempts, but what you can do is protect yourself.

Changing your passwords every once in awhile is good practice, not just for SFI, for everything, you can never be too safe out there.

Another thing to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, cause now they don't only have one password they have them all.

Good point to bring up, so the answer should be, act accordingly.

Chris
3x SUPPORT
Chris M.

Canada

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

1. I believe that Gery and his management are doing a good job in this regard.. 2. Not willing to allow Affiliates to loose focus in other NOT to fall victims of the internet scams which are very common nowadays.... 3. i thank them for their consistency in reminding all of us of this vital information for security and in the interest of our business.... 4. I hope we should not only be conscious of the situation always BUT the effort by Corporate is equally commendable for keeping us at Alert!
1. I believe that Gery and his management are doing a good job in this regard..
2. Not willing to allow Affiliates to loose focus in other NOT to fall victims of
the internet scams which are very common nowadays....
3. i thank them for their consistency in reminding all of us of this vital
information for security and in the interest of our business....
4. I hope we should not only be conscious of the situation always
BUT the effort by Corporate is equally commendable for keeping us at Alert!
6x SUPPORT
Ofuonyebi '.

Nigeria

E365 Country Champion

Posted 8 months ago

You are not obliged to change your password but admin is just drawing your attention to the possibility of hackers getting your account. These days the hackers are very clever they can actually hack icloud and change your password and then demand a ransom to unlock it. This happened to me and all my computers were locked and I had to take it to the Apple store to unlock them. If you find that your computer has been hacked never pay a ransom.
You are not obliged to change your password but admin is just drawing your attention to the possibility of hackers getting your account. These days the hackers are very clever they can actually hack icloud and change your password and then demand a ransom to unlock it. This happened to me and all my computers were locked and I had to take it to the Apple store to unlock them.

If you find that your computer has been hacked never pay a ransom.

3x SUPPORT
Rosemary F.

France

Gold Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Hello Olufunmilola, I agree with Chris and also I would like to add that, besides to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, the more precautions we can take, the better. Somethings I believe are to consider are: - Make strong and complex passwords, 8 characters or more, containing caps, lowercase, numbers, and symbols. - Change them from time to time. - Unmark the option for the browser remember the passwords of the really important sites, in other words, do not allow the browser to remember those passwords and write them instead any time you log in. This is especially important for sites that contain sensitive information about yourself like your SFI, your Paypal account etc. In this, I include also tell the sites not to remember information about bank cards every time I make a purchase, with the only exception of Paypal. - Do not save your passwords in emails, either in notebooks or other files on your computer or other devices with internet access. In case you need to write your password somewhere, because its complexity, use a paper or a physical notebook and keep it in a safe place only you know. With some pages, like Gmail or social networks, I understand it may be a little annoying not to remember those passwords, it is alright, in my opinion, to allow browsers and smartphones to remember the passwords in those cases always that you keep them complex and different from a site to another, always with the idea of minimizing the risks. In any case, these actions are not mandatory, just my opinion. In the end, you are free to decide how to protect your information on the internet, but I do hope this helps you out. Have a great day, Daniel
Hello Olufunmilola,

I agree with Chris and also I would like to add that, besides to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, the more precautions we can take, the better.

Somethings I believe are to consider are:

- Make strong and complex passwords, 8 characters or more, containing caps, lowercase, numbers, and symbols.

- Change them from time to time.

- Unmark the option for the browser remember the passwords of the really important sites, in other words, do not allow the browser to remember those passwords and write them instead any time you log in. This is especially important for sites that contain sensitive information about yourself like your SFI, your Paypal account etc. In this, I include also tell the sites not to remember information about bank cards every time I make a purchase, with the only exception of Paypal.

- Do not save your passwords in emails, either in notebooks or other files on your computer or other devices with internet access. In case you need to write your password somewhere, because its complexity, use a paper or a physical notebook and keep it in a safe place only you know.

With some pages, like Gmail or social networks, I understand it may be a little annoying not to remember those passwords, it is alright, in my opinion, to allow browsers and smartphones to remember the passwords in those cases always that you keep them complex and different from a site to another, always with the idea of minimizing the risks.

In any case, these actions are not mandatory, just my opinion. In the end, you are free to decide how to protect your information on the internet, but I do hope this helps you out.

Have a great day,

Daniel
15x SUPPORT
Daniel C.

Spain

E365 Runner Up

Posted 8 months ago

Hi Olufunmilola O. It is a good idea to change your passwords.. I seem to get this about every 3 to 4 months. But I only change about every 6 to 8 months in some cases once a yr. depending on what the site is.. Have a great day, with much success
Hi Olufunmilola O.

It is a good idea to change your passwords.. I seem to get this about every 3 to 4 months.
But I only change about every 6 to 8 months in some cases once a yr. depending on what the site is..

Have a great day, with much success
SUPPORT
Robin T.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Check out LastPass.com. It changes and remembers your pass word every time you log in. It is never the same twice. Look at lastpass.com reviews on Google. They mostly recommend using the free version. I have been seriously thinking of getting this so if anyone already has it, I would be very interested in your opinion. I have already ruled out most of the other password controllers I have seen.
Check out LastPass.com. It changes and remembers your pass word every time you log in. It is never the same twice.
Look at lastpass.com reviews on Google. They mostly recommend using the free version.
I have been seriously thinking of getting this so if anyone already has it, I would be very interested in your opinion. I have already ruled out most of the other password controllers I have seen.
3x SUPPORT
Al L.

United States

Posted 8 months ago

A good advice indeed. Thank you.
A good advice indeed. Thank you.
Waidi A.

Nigeria

Posted 8 months ago More by Jan G.

[quote=1395329]It is often on the alert page and when SFI deem it is necessary that you change your password. Do you ignore this alert or act likewise? This is a related post you can read and what President Gery also said. https://www.sfimg.com/forum/thread?id=86018&pg=1 [b]"Right! We have not been hacked, but many, many other, even major, sites have been (it's in the news regularly)...and the email addresses and passwords of tens of millions have been stolen by hackers...and these hackers have, no doubt, distributed and sold these email and password combinations to other scammers. So, there's potentially a whole army of bad guys out there with your email/password combination...and armed with this, all they have to do is go to various other sites (SFI included) and enter the email addresses and passwords one after another,…"[/b] Best regards. Olufunmilola[/quote] If it ain't [is not] broken, why fit it? I belong to a social community that will celebrate it's 20th Year anniversary, 5 months from now. I have been an active community member since Febuary 2005; using the same login. Jan Network Majic Queen
Olufunmilola O. posted:
It is often on the alert page and when SFI deem it is necessary that you change your password.
Do you ignore this alert or act likewise?

This is a related post you can read and what President Gery also said.
www.sfimg.com/forum/thread?id=86018&pg=1

"Right! We have not been hacked, but many, many other, even major, sites have been (it's in the news regularly)...and the email addresses and passwords of tens of millions have been stolen by hackers...and these hackers have, no doubt, distributed and sold these email and password combinations to other scammers.

So, there's potentially a whole army of bad guys out there with your email/password combination...and armed with this, all they have to do is go to various other sites (SFI included) and enter the email addresses and passwords one after another,…"

Best regards.

Olufunmilola

If it ain't [is not] broken, why fit it?

I belong to a social community that will celebrate it's 20th Year anniversary, 5 months from now. I have been an active community member since Febuary 2005; using the same login.

Jan
Network Majic Queen
7x SUPPORT
Jan G.

United States

Posted 8 months ago More by Jan G.

[quote=1395342]Hi Olufunmilola This unfortunately happens, there is not much you can do about the attempts, but what you can do is protect yourself. Changing your passwords every once in awhile is good practice, not just for SFI, for everything, you can never be too safe out there. Another thing to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, cause now they don't only have one password they have them all. Good point to bring up, so the answer should be, act accordingly. Chris[/quote] ... [b]using the same user/login for different sites is the ultimate no no[/b] Personally, this is how I suspect some Internet Users get hacked Jan Network Majic Queen
Chris M. posted:
Hi Olufunmilola

This unfortunately happens, there is not much you can do about the attempts, but what you can do is protect yourself.

Changing your passwords every once in awhile is good practice, not just for SFI, for everything, you can never be too safe out there.

Another thing to avoid is using the same password for multiple sites, cause now they don't only have one password they have them all.

Good point to bring up, so the answer should be, act accordingly.

Chris

... using the same user/login for different sites is the ultimate no no

Personally, this is how I suspect some Internet Users get hacked

Jan
Network Majic Queen
7x SUPPORT
Jan G.

United States

Posted 8 months ago

I change my passwords but not very often, maybe once a year or later. I find difficult to remember every password for every site, so sometimes I use same for 2-3 sites and other different for other 2-3, unless I write them down or save in my email or note pad but someone can read it then. I know digital world is dangerous with this, but also think even you change passwords every month they will keep on hacking if they want to, so not to worry that much. Is million users and a chance to be seriously damaged is low, like winning lottery only one in some million people. The only thing is non predictable passwords such as names, dates, 12345 or things like that
I change my passwords but not very often, maybe once a year or later. I find difficult to remember every password for every site, so sometimes I use same for 2-3 sites and other different for other 2-3, unless I write them down or save in my email or note pad but someone can read it then. I know digital world is dangerous with this, but also think even you change passwords every month they will keep on hacking if they want to, so not to worry that much. Is million users and a chance to be seriously damaged is low, like winning lottery only one in some million people. The only thing is non predictable passwords such as names, dates, 12345 or things like that
Ana P.

Mexico

E365 Country Champion

Posted 8 months ago

Hi Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will say this reading everyone's views I for one do not keep my passwords on the computer I write them in a book, but must say sometimes it a pain looking for that password, but just find it safer. Thank you All the best
Hi
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will say this reading everyone's views I for one do not keep my passwords on the computer I write them in a book, but must say sometimes it a pain looking for that password, but just find it safer.
Thank you

All the best
6x SUPPORT
Susan S.

Botswana

E365 Runner Up
Silver Fast-Track

| Edit settings